Toto people are an isolated tribal group who are struggling to keep their sense of community, identity and culture as the world moves in around them. Their language is unique to their dwindling tribe.
The Toto people live in West Bengal.
Toto people are largely land cultivators. Every home also has a family garden protected by bamboo fences in which they grow potatoes, vegetables, and bananas. They also eat pork, venison, poultry and fish. Some also raise cows and pigs as their occupation. Some work on nearby plantations, and they are known as quiet, reliable workers.
Their houses are elevated bamboo huts covered by thatched roofs. They keep an entry log outside their doors and pull them in at night. They do not permit divorce.
Young people speak Toto, Bengali and Nepali which are used in their schools. A primary healthcare center is also available to them.
Toto people consider themselves Hindus who also worship nature. They worship and fear many gods. They believe that Ishpa lives in the Bhutan Hills and causes illness when displeased. They offer animal sacrifices and fermented drink called Eu. Cheima keeps the village and its people safe, and is offered rice, poultry and their fermented drink. Priests also offer worship and sacrifices. Ishpa is worshiped outside their homes, and Cheima inside their homes.
Toto people need more than any other needs to know personally Almighty God who created in nature that they worship. They need to know that He paid the full penalty for their sins so they could live with Him forever.
They need to be protected from outside economic and cultural forces that would destroy their communities. Their families are in jeopardy as their young people are becoming more like the peoples around them
* Scripture Prayers for the Toto in India.
* Pray for a "Book of Acts" type of movement to Christ among the Toto people.
* Pray for the Toto people to understand and embrace that Jesus wants to bless their families and neighborhoods.
* Pray for Holy Spirit anointed believers from the Toto people to change their society from within.
* Pray for a movement in which the Holy Spirit leads and empowers Toto disciples to make more disciples.
* Pray for a movement of Jesus to heal and strengthen Toto communities.
|Profile Source: Keith Carey|
|National Bible Society||Website|
|Persecution Rank||10 (Open Doors top 50 rank, 1 = highest persecution ranking)|
|Specialized Website||South Asia Peoples|