Introduction / History
The Sunri people, be they Muslim or Hindu, have low status in India.
Where Are they Located?
This Muslim community lives in a small part of Karnataka. The more numerous Hindu Sunri are in West Bengal, on the other side of India.
What Are Their Lives Like?
Most Sunri people earn their living through farming, trade, fishing, and being household service workers. They have made good progress in the field of education.
What Are Their Beliefs?
Though most Sunris are Hindus, there are Sunni Muslims among them. Islam in South Asia tends to include elements of Hinduism that would be considered unorthodox. They believe that the One, Supreme God, Allah, spoken through his prophet, Mohammed, and taught mankind how to live a righteous life through the Koran and the Hadith. To live a righteous life, you must utter the Shahada (a statement of faith), pray five times a day facing Mecca, fast from sunup to sundown during the month of Ramadan, give alms to the poor, and make a pilgrimage to Mecca if you have the means. Muslims are prohibited from drinking alcohol, eating pork, gambling, stealing, slandering, and making idols. They gather for corporate prayer on Friday afternoons at a mosque, their place of worship.
What Are Their Needs?
In most of the Muslim world, peoples like the Sunris depend on the spirit world for their daily needs since they regard Allah as too distant. Allah may determine their eternal salvation, but the spirits determine how well we live in our daily lives. For that reason, they must appease the spirits. The often use charms and amulets to help them deal with spiritual forces.
Muslim Sunri people need to put their faith in Jesus Christ, the only sin-forgiving Savior. They cannot earn their salvation no matter what they do.
* Scripture Prayers for the Sunri (Muslim traditions) in India.
* Pray for the Lord to raise up a strong disciple making movement to saturate the hearts and minds of the Sunri people.
* Pray for God's blessing, strengthening and healing of Sunri families and communities within this people group through the abundant life Jesus offers to all who call on His name.
* Pray for God's blessing on the leaders in this people group, along with their families, and for their communities to welcome and enjoy God's blessing.
* Pray for the Lord to multiply the reception and influence of His Word among this people group, leading them to love Him with their whole being.