The Pundari are a scheduled caste, meaning that they have low status. They speak Bengali.
The Pundari live in India’s state of West Bengal, and a smaller number live further east in Bangladesh.
The Pundari work in agriculture. Their education level is not high, so the gospel will need to be presented in oral forms.
They are endogamous (preferring to marry within the community) and monogamous (meaning that each man can only have one wife). Marriage can be by discussion or mutual consent. On the death of the father, sons inherit the property with the oldest son becoming in charge of the home. Local councils settle their disagreements.
All of the Pundari people, be they in India or Bangladesh, are Hindu. Hindus with low status like the Pundaris usually try to gain favor with their gods when necessary. They participate in religious festivals and hope to be reincarnated as a higher caste person in the next life.
The Pundari people need to have the choice to put their faith in Jesus Christ and to love Him all their days. They are currently what William Carey called, “No choice people.”
* Scripture Prayers for the Pundari in Bangladesh.
* Pray for gospel workers to catch a vision for reaching the Pundari people for Jesus and that in God’s sovereign timing the hearts of the Pundari people would be open and ready to follow Him.
* Pray for Jesus movements to bless extended Pundari families so the gospel will spread rapidly among this people group.
* Pray for the spiritual lives of the Pundari people to become fruitful as they follow Christ.
* Pray for the lives and culture of the Pundari people to evidence the rule and reign of the Kingdom of God as they open to the gospel, and for the beauty of Jesus to be seen in them.
|Profile Source: Keith Carey|
|National Bible Society||Website|
|Persecution Rank||38 (Open Doors top 50 rank, 1 = highest persecution ranking)|
|Total States on file||3|
|Specialized Website||South Asia Peoples|
Primary Language: Bengali
|Bible Translation ▲||Status (Years)|
|Bible-New Testament||Yes (1801-1984)|
|Possible Print Bibles|
|Forum Bible Agencies|
|National Bible Societies|
|World Bible Finder|
|Resource Type ▲||Resource Name|
|Audio Recordings||Audio Bible teaching (GRN)|
|Audio Recordings||Online New Testament - Bangla Version (FCBH)|
|Audio Recordings||Online New Testament - Mussolmani Version (FCBH)|
|Audio Recordings||Online New Testament- Common Version (FCBH)|
|Audio Recordings||Online Scripture (Talking Bibles)|
|Audio Recordings||Oral Bible stories in Bengali|
|Audio Recordings||Story of Jesus audio (Jesus Film Project)|
|Film / Video||Following Jesus (India, JF Project)|
|Film / Video||God's Love Story|
|Film / Video||God's Story Video|
|Film / Video||Indigitube.tv Video / Animation|
|Film / Video||Jesus Film: view in Bengali|
|Film / Video||Magdalena (Jesus Film Project)|
|Film / Video||My Last Day (Jesus Film Project Anime)|
|Film / Video||Rivka (Jesus Film Project)|
|Film / Video||Story of Jesus for Children (JF Project)|
|Film / Video||The Prophets' Story|
|Film / Video||The Savior 3 - Woman at the Well|
|Film / Video||The Savior 8 - Jesus is Risen|