The Belait people are among the original inhabitants of Brunei. They are from Brunei's Belait District. They have their own language, but it is being replaced by Malay, the trade language of both Brunei and Malaysia. The government of Brunei is building a museum in the Belait district to preserve this dying culture.
Belait speakers live either in Brunei or in neighboring Malaysia on the same island of Borneo.
In today's world, the Belait speakers are almost indistinguishable from the Malay majority in either Brunei or Malaysia. Their language and culture will probably die out in the next couple of decades.
Like the Malay peoples around them, the Belait people are loyal to the Islamic religion. They are Sunni Muslims.
The Belait people need their identity to be in Christ rather than a religious system.
* Scripture Prayers for the Belait, Lakiput in Brunei.
* Pray for the Lord to visit Belait leaders through dreams, visions, and through His word.
* Pray for this people group to be drawn to the person of Jesus Christ.
* Pray for believers to find ways to reach these people in a way they can understand.
* Pray for a disciple making movement among the Belait people.
|Profile Source: Keith Carey|
|People Name General||Belait, Lakiput|
|People Name in Country||Belait, Lakiput|
|Natural Name||Lakiput Belait|
|Progress Scale||1 ●|
|Frontier People Group||No|
|GSEC||4 (per PeopleGroups.org)|
|Pioneer Workers Needed||1|
|Alternate Names||Belait Jati; Southern Murut|
|Persecution Rank||37 (Open Doors top 50 rank, 1 = highest persecution ranking)|
|Location in Country||Belait district: scattered; Tutong district: Kampung Kiudang. Source: Ethnologue 2016|
|Major Religion ▲||Percent|
|Christianity (Evangelical 0.15 %)||
|Other / Small||
|Christian Segments ▲||Percent|