Near the end of a road on the busy Gazelle Peninsula of East New Britain lies the Taulil area. Taulil is a relatively small language group surrounded by larger neighbors, and outsiders have often presumed they would merge with the groups around them. The Taulil people have defied these expectations and continue to maintain their identity, using the Taulil language and passing it on to their children.
SIL is planning a program called the New Britain Initiative (NBI). This program will train Papua New Guineans to translate the Bible into their own language. The Taulil are among those SIL hopes will participate, and when presented with the possibility, community members expressed interest. The Taulil have worked energetically in the past alongside researchers to produce materials in their own language, a good indication they value Taulil and take pride in it.
A community leader stated, "We are unique, and we must have our own Bible." Though many Taulil people are bilingual and can read the Bible in other languages, these are not their heart language and do not communicate as clearly as a Bible in Taulil would.
* Scripture Prayers for the Taulil-Butam in Papua New Guinea.
* Pray that the Taulil will continue to take initiative and that, whether through the NBI or some other means, they would be able to read God's Word in Taulil.
* Pray that SIL leadership would have wisdom in planning the NBI.
* Pray that the Taulil would grow in their understanding of God.
* Pray that God's Word would come to the Taulil people in a language they clearly understand.
* Pray that the denominations in the area would be able to work together.
|Profile Source: Anonymous|
|Expanded PDF Profile|
|People Name General||Taulil-Butam|
|People Name in Country||Taulil-Butam|
|Population this Country||2,600|
|Population all Countries||2,600|
|Progress Scale||5 ●|
|Frontier People Group||No|
|GSEC||5 (per PeopleGroups.org)|
|Pioneer Workers Needed|
|Country||Papua New Guinea|
|Region||Australia and Pacific|
|Persecution Rank||Not ranked|
|Location in Country||East New Britain province: Gazelle peninsula, Kadaulung, Taulil1, and Taulil2. Source: Ethnologue 2016|
|Religion Subdivision:||Roman Catholic|
|Major Religion ▲||Percent|
|Christianity (Evangelical 17.00 %)||
|Other / Small||
|Christian Segments ▲||Percent|