Expanded PDF Profile
Introduction / History
The Anyang people live in the rain forest of southwestern Cameroon at about 400 feet above sea level. The language of the Anyang is called Denya. They generally live in mud brick houses with thatch roofs and their ethnic foods include Eru, a green vegetable that grows wild in the rain forest, and Mango Seeds, from which they make a marketable soup. They live close to the Nigerian border and do business regularly with them and with other groups around them such as the Ejagham and Kenyam.
Because of the heavy rains the roads cannot be used by motorized traffic. It is not uncommon for the Anyang to walk everywhere, even hours, to their destination! They also walk to their fields, as most Anyang are farmers. They make sturdy wooden baskets to wear on their backs to carry the fruits or vegetables they harvest from their fields or from the vast tropical forest that surrounds their land. . The Anyang have come from a history of traditional animistic beliefs, but have recently been exposed to the truth of God's Word through evangelism and Bible translation.
The Anyang people have many needs. Their neighbors generally look down upon them. They have few means of income and the younger generations are losing satisfaction with living the agricultural lifestyle. Most children do not continue their education after the sixth grade due to economic hardship and therefore lose the means to better their lifestyle. The Anyang need educational programs, economic resources and momentum, Bible teaching and discipleship to develop Anyang Christian leaders, and a new hope for the future.
1. The translation team anticipates completing the New Testament translation. Pray that the Lord strengthens every element to make this goal a reality.
2. Finding funds is a constant struggle. Pray that the Lord would provide the finances to sustain this team of Cameroonians.
3. Pray for receptiveness to the scriptures that have already been translated.
4. Pray for pastors to be willing to use them.
5. Pray for the adherents to remain strong.
6. Pray for wisdom for Christians in relating to traditional leaders and communities so as not to offend.
Scripture Prayers for the Denya, Anyang in Cameroon.