Send Joshua Project a photo
of this people group.
Map Source: People Group data: Omid. Map geography: UNESCO / GMI. Map Design: Joshua Project
|People Name:||Parja Bonda|
|Christian Adherents:||0.34 %|
|Online Audio NT:||No|
|People Cluster:||South Asia Tribal - other|
|Affinity Bloc:||South Asian Peoples|
Parja people are believed to be from the more numerous Ghond tribes of India. The name, "Parja" comes from the Sanskrit language, and is also known as Paroja, and Parangiperia. The Parja peoples are Scheduled Tribes. They are divided into at least three subtribes, of which the best known are the Bondas. There are also two subdivisions of the Bondas.
This tribal community lives in Odisha near Chhattisgarh and Andhra Pradesh.
Among the Bondo Parja people, illiteracy, child marriage and crippling debt are common. Their population is going down.
Bondo women shave their heads, then cover their heads with a length of cloth and beads. They wear less clothes than most other tribal peoples. Strangely, boys marry between 10-12 to girls who are older than they are. This is very unusual in India. Men have a very high rate of alcoholism which leads to much unnecessary violence.
Bondos are mainly animistic in faith, but a few are Hindus. Most of them are very hostile to any outsiders. Missionaries who serve them demonstrate the love of God through their actions. God uses them to reveal Himself and His power to heal.
This people group needs the opportunity to have the next generation educated and to rise above the trap of poverty and child marriage. It would help them if they could receive loans from people who will treat them fairly rather than force them into debts that can never be paid.
* Pray for the Parja Bonda people to understand and embrace that Jesus wants to bless their families and neighborhoods.
* Pray for Holy Spirit anointed believers from the Parja Bonda people to change their society from within.
* Pray for a movement in which the Holy Spirit leads and empowers Parja Bonda disciples to make more disciples.
* Pray for a movement of Jesus to heal and strengthen Parja Bonda communities.
* Pray for a "Book of Acts" type of movement to Christ among the Parja Bonda people.