Photo Source: Anonymous
Send Joshua Project a map of this people group.
|Primary Language:||Altai, Northern|
|Primary Religion:||Ethnic Religions|
|Christian Adherents:||0.00 %|
|Online Audio NT:||No|
|Affinity Bloc:||Turkic Peoples|
The Chelkans live in the Republic of Altai within the Russian Federation.
Traditional religion of indigenous peoples of Altai is paganism. During the 50-70s of the 18th century Christianity began to spread among them. Christianity was especially active in the second half of 19th century. According to the Population Census of 1897, 34.5% of indigenous people were orthodox. At the beginning of the 20th century there began to extend Burkhanism (from "Burkhan," the name of the spirit of the Altai Mountains), it's a form of Lamaism with elements of Shamanism. And even after accepting Christianity, indigenous peoples continue to worship rivers, mountains, lakes.
* Pray that Russian Bibles will be placed in the hands of the Chelkan who understand the Russian language.
* Ask the Lord to bring forth a triumphant Chelkan church for the glory of His name!
* Pray that the Lord of the harvest will send loving Christians who are willing to live and serve among the Chelkan peoples.
* Pray for translation of the Bible to begin in this people group's primary language.
* Pray that the Chelkans' fear of the spirits and mountain gods will be replaced by a love and fear of the one true God.