Send Joshua Project a photo
of this people group.
|Christian Adherents:||0.00 %|
|Online Audio NT:||No|
|People Cluster:||South Asia Tribal - other|
|Affinity Bloc:||South Asian Peoples|
Onge people are a scheduled tribe of India. They were previously nomads and hunters; they are hunters today. It is believed they migrated from Africa a long time ago. The population of the Onge has lessened considerably probably due to contact with other people in the world, but not of their tribe. Onge people managed to live through the 2004 tsunami. There may only be 120 people left today.
Onge people live in the Andaman Islands, largely on Little Andaman Island.
Onge people are primarily hunters, fishermen. They are shy by nature, and live their own lifestyles.
Many Onge people have become addicted to alcohol and drugs. This has caused concern regarding their continued existence. Many are not able to bear children. Child mortality is high, also.
Onge speak their own language by the same name.
Onge tribes are easy to find. They build their own homes. The Indian Government is trying to help them with their problems.
Onge people celebrate many festivals, some in fear to prevent more tsunamis and rituals regarding nature. They fearfully worship to please, and to be blessed by their gods.
The primary need of Onge people is to understand that Jesus Christ gave His life to pay the full penalty for their sins.
Widespread systemic poverty affects the Onge people. They need help to establish and maintain schools, medical clinics, drinking water, sanitation, and education to maintain an improved lifestyle.
No scripture resources are known to exist in the Onge language. Who will tell them?
* Pray that instead of alcohol and drugs the Onge will turn to Jesus Christ.
* Pray that they will not decrease further in numbers.
* Pray that they will not look to festivals for protection but to Jesus Christ.
* Health issues are serious, and must be addressed if people are to live long enough to hear and understand Almighty God's truth of salvation provided for them.
* Pray for broken intercessors who will kneel before heaven's throne as long as it takes.