Tamboli (Muslim traditions) in India

Tamboli (Muslim traditions)
Photo Source:  Copyrighted © 2024
Matyas Rehak - Shutterstock  All rights reserved.  Used with permission
Map Source:  People Group data: Omid. Map geography: UNESCO / GMI. Map Design: Joshua Project
People Name: Tamboli (Muslim traditions)
Country: India
10/40 Window: Yes
Population: 177,000
World Population: 309,000
Primary Language: Urdu
Primary Religion: Islam
Christian Adherents: 0.00 %
Evangelicals: 0.00 %
Scripture: Complete Bible
Online Audio NT: Yes
Jesus Film: Yes
Audio Recordings: Yes
People Cluster: South Asia Muslim - other
Affinity Bloc: South Asian Peoples
Progress Level:

Introduction / History

The Tamboli or Tambuli (also Barai) derive their name from the Sanskrit term for 'betel leaves' (tambula). Tambul or betel leaf packing has commonly been the primary source of income for thousands of Tamboli.

What Are Their Lives Like?

Today the Tamboli can still be found in India in the tradition business of cultivating this plant or packaging the leaves, though not all remain in this profession. Scores of Tamboli, because of a higher caste status, can be found in small business trading and as hardware shop owners.

What Are Their Beliefs?

About 90% of Tamboli are Hindus but the other 10% are Muslims and trace this heritage back to conversion from Hinduism.

What Are Their Needs?

Little to no ministry work has ever been done among the Tamboli and despite this large population there are no known Christians among them. As a result, there are probably no person from a Muslim Tamboli background that is living the abundant life offered by Jesus Christ. They need him!

Prayer Points

Pray for the spiritual hunger it will take for the Tamboli people to knock, seek and find the only savior.
Pray for the Lord to thrust out loving and dedicated workers to lead them to the cross.
Pray for Tamboli disciples who will make more disciples.
Pray for the Holy Spirit to give Tamboli elders dreams of the Risen Christ, leading them to open community doors to the gospel.

Text Source:   Joshua Project