Send Joshua Project a photo
of this people group.
|Primary Language:||Punjabi, Eastern|
|Christian Adherents:||0.00 %|
|Online Audio NT:||No|
|People Cluster:||South Asia Muslim - other|
|Affinity Bloc:||South Asian Peoples|
This people group’s population is quite small. They may have assimilated into larger surrounding groups and may no longer be recognizable as a distinct group.
They are located in Haryana and Gujarat.
The Bodla people face the same problem as most subsistence farmers. In order to earn enough money to buy seeds to plant a new crop, they must earn money on the previous year’s crop. And if last year’s crop is destroyed, they become even more poor, without any means to earn a living.
The Bodla people are Sunni Muslim, the largest branch of Islam. They believe that the One, Supreme God, Allah, spoken through his prophet, Mohammed, and taught mankind how to live a righteous life through the Koran and the Hadith. To live a righteous life, you must utter the Shahada (a statement of faith), pray five times a day facing Mecca, fast from sunup to sundown during the month of Ramadan, give alms to the poor, and make a pilgrimage to Mecca if you have the means. Muslims are prohibited from drinking alcohol, eating pork, gambling, stealing, slandering, and making idols. They gather for corporate prayer on Friday afternoons at a mosque, their place of worship.
The two main holidays for Sunni Muslims are Eid al Fitr, the breaking of the monthly fast and Eid al Adha, the celebration of Abraham’s willingness to sacrifice his son to Allah.
In most of the Muslim world, peoples like the Bodla depend on the spirit world for their daily needs since they regard Allah as too distant. Allah may determine their eternal salvation, but the spirits determine how well we live in our daily lives. For that reason, they must appease the spirits. The often use charms and amulets to help them with spiritual forces.
Although audio, visual, and written Bible resources are available in Punjabi, their spoken language, they remain unreached and unengaged with the truth of the gospel. Their greatest need is to understand the infinite love of Almighty God for them, and His provisional payment of the penalty for their sins.
* Pray for the Bodla culture to be renewed and enhanced by a work of the Holy Spirit and shaped into a God-centered and God-honoring mold.
* Pray for the Holy Spirit to move among Bodla family and community leaders to seek His face and enjoy His blessings.
* Pray for the Lord to thrust out workers who will be compelled to nurture a disciple making movement among the Bodla people.
* Pray that soon the Bodla people will have faith that will lead them to live honorable lives that will draw others to the Savior.
* Pray that the Bodlas people will experience an abundant harvest this year. Pray for them to also be blessed by the abundant spiritual resources lavished on us by Christ, the King.