Photo Source: Anonymous
Send Joshua Project a map of this people group.
|Christian Adherents:||0.00 %|
|Online Audio NT:||No|
|Affinity Bloc:||Eurasian Peoples|
Though the Chechens in Iraq are small in number, they have been there since the late 1800s when they settled there on behalf of the Ottoman Empire. These Chechens settled in Iraq's northern towns. Later Chechen communities settled in Mosul, Dayali, and Baghdad. At that time many of these Chechens left their farms and became soldiers.
Most Chechens live in Russia's Caucasus Mountain region. Those in Iraq can be anywhere in that country.
There is a hot dispute about whether or not there are more recently arriving Chechens who are there to fight in Iraq's extended war. There are now efforts on the part of the Chechens in Iraq to re-build their fallen community organizations and language teaching schools. Re-building their cultural establishments is unlikely until there is peace in Iraq.
The Chechens are either Sunni or Sufi Muslims. The Sufi sect is noted for being much more focused on the mystical and the relational aspects of Islam than the two better known sects, Sunni and Shi'ite. Almost none of them follow Christ.
The Chechens need a peaceful homeland where they can re-build their lives, and meet the Prince of Peace. They need both external and internal peace.
* Pray for the Chechens to find a peaceful home.
* Pray for the internal shalom for Chechens as they find their way to the Prince of Peace.
* Pray that the fighting done in the name of Islam will give Chechens in Iraq and in Russia the willingness to seek spiritual answers outside their religious system.
* Pray for dreams and visions that will lead Chechens on a spiritual quest.
* Pray for a movement to Christ among Chechens in Iraq.